Friday, October 23, 2015

Simple 10-Minute Blackened Tilapia Tacos

I've said before how I'm not such a great cook. I'm not very experimental in the kitchen, I don't like using recipes with more than 6-7 ingredients, and often times, even when I do follow a recipe, I skip steps and mess something up. So for people like me, it's always good to have a "go-to" meal that you're great at cooking. For me, it's my Blackened Tilapia Tacos. Seriously, I've cooked it for so many friends (and my parents!) and they all like it!

Blackened Tilapia Taco Recipe



Not only is this recipe quick, but it uses ingredients that you typically have in your kitchen on a regular basis. I often buy a huge bag of frozen tilapia, and whenever I need to, I just defrost a couple filets and make this.

Blackened Tilapia


Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Ingredients
  • Tilapia Filets
  • Cooking Oil
  • 1 Tbsp Paprika
  • 2 tsp Thyme
  • 1 tsp Cumin
  • 1 tsp Oregano
  • 1 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1 tsp Onion Powder
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp Cayenne

Blackened Tilapia Taco Recipe


Cooking Directions

  1. Mix all dry ingredients together in a small bowl to create blackening powder. Moisten the sides of each tilapia filet with cooking spray, then coat with the blackening powder.
  2. Heat 1 Tbsp of oil per filet in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add filets and cook for about 3 minutes per side, or until fish can be flaked easily with a fork. 
  3. Remove fish from the heat, and if desired, warm the tortillas in the same skillet over medium heat, cooking for about 30 seconds on each side.
  4. Break up the tilapia into 2-3" pieces. Stack the tortillas in twos. Distribute the fish evenly between the sets of tortilla, and top with your favorite toppings. Serve.

Blackened Tilapia Taco Recipe


Usually after I coat the tilapia filets with the blackening powder, I let them sit at room temperature for a little bit while I cut up all the rest of my taco ingredients like lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and cilantro. I typically also make a quick guacamole as a spread. That way, as soon as you cook the filets, everything is ready to get thrown into your taco!

Blackened Tilapia Taco Recipe


Have you ever tried to make a fish taco? What's your favorite go-to recipe?

Say hello to this month's sponsor:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading every comment and always try to reply by email. Thanks for stopping by!