Thursday, October 15, 2015

Fall Swap Reveal and Books Lately

About a month ago, I signed up with a Fall swap from Lindsay from Bourbon, Lipstick, and Stilettos I received the cutest package from my partner last week!

My partner was Julia from Grace Makes New.

And here's what she sent me:





I got some great stuff! Starla loves her new toy. I've already put the foxy socks to good use. I also can't believe I never tried the mint/vanilla EOS before. I always get the mint but never the mixed one. It is sooooo good! I'm obsessed. Julia did a pretty good job shopping for me I'd have to say.
Thank you Julia!



Want to see what I got her? Hop over to her blog and find out!




Reading Update | Alanna & Company

What I Read

#Girlboss by Sophia Amoruso
Big Little Lies by liane Moriarty

Between the Lines on Big Little Lies

1. The power of secrets is a theme throughout the novel. Jane remembers, “She hadn’t told anyone. She’d swallowed it whole and pretended it meant nothing, and therefore it had come to mean everything.” [p. 220] Do you think this is a universal truth, that the more you keep something secret, the more power it takes on?

From my experience, yes. I've haven't been in a situation like Jane's, but I can see how she had to face her secret daily and how she had to deal with it. In the end, not telling anyone such a huge secret definitely made her more introverted and almost ruled how she acted on a day-to-day basis.

2. There is a lot of discussion about women and their looks. On the beach Jane’s mom shows that she has rather poor body image. Jane observes that women over 40 are constantly talking about their age. And Madeline says, “She didn’t want to admit, even to herself, just how much the aging of her face really did genuinely depress her. She wanted to be above such superficial concerns. She wanted to be depressed about the state of the world….” [p. 82] Do you think this obsession with looks is specific to women, particularly women of a certain age? Why or why not?

I think it's particular to women of all ages. I remember being a teenager and saying my ass was fat, because self-shaming was so prevalent in my high school. Magazines, celebrities, tv, movies, and more show women the ideal image for their body and don't take into account the many shapes and sizes that women can be healthy and beautiful. I can't speak for how strong this gets the older you get, but I know from experience that this obsession with looks typically starts at a young age and continues on.

3. At one point in the book, Susi says that, in Australia, one woman dies every week because of domestic violence. In the United States, more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends every day. Every nine seconds in the United States a woman is assaulted or beaten. Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women—more than that caused by car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined. Are you surprised by these statistics? Why or why not? Clearly, the author chose Celeste—the picture-perfect mom and/ wife as well as an educated lawyer—to be the victim of domestic violence in order to make a point. Do you think it’s plausible that someone like her would fall victim to abuse such as this?

Literally reading this prompt gave me goosebumps. I thought the statistics for Australia was bad. The statistics for America are far worse, and far more saddening to me. I 100% believe that it's plausible for a character like Celeste or someone like her to fall victim to abuse. I appreciated how she showed the other side of the picture of Celeste fighting back and refuting the fact that she was the victim. I think many women in situations like that have a hard time seeing themselves as a victim and deny the entire situation as abuse when it truly is.

4. At the beginning of the novel, Madeline is enraged over Ziggy not being invited to Amabella’s birthday party. Why do you think Madeline becomes so angry about such a seemingly small injustice? Do you think Madeline is the kind of person who just looks for a fight, or do you think she was justified in feeling so upset? And do you think that by tackling both ends of the spectrum —from schoolyard bullying and parents behaving badly in the playground to displays of domestic violence in all its incarnations—that the author is trying to say something about the bullying that happens out in the open every day?

This is a great question that I didn't even think about when I was reading the book. I can now see how the author took something small and broadened it into something much larger. The author showed many aspects of violence, overt and not, and weaved it into a wonderful story that tackles very important issues.

What I'm currently reading

Bossy Pants by Tina Fey

My Reading Challenge Updates

Total Books this month: 2
Total Books read this year: 18/75 
Total Books Read for the Modern Mrs. Darcy Challenge: 8 / 12



Say hello to this month's sponsor:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading every comment and always try to reply by email. Thanks for stopping by!