Monday, December 14, 2015

Seven Books That I Couldn't Put Down

So thanks to Goodreads and reading challenges, I have realized two things: I don't read as fast as you people! and the older you get the harder it is to find time to read books. Seriously! I am shocked by how many people's reading updates include over 10 books per month. I was struggling with one book each month. This year was also the year I've traveled the least since probably 2009, and I read a lot on vacations. So there's my terrible excuses for the year.

I'll start by recapping my Modern Mrs. Darcy reading challenge.

A book you’ve been meaning to read: Bossypants by Tina Fey
A book published this year: Inside the O'Briens by Lisa Genova
A book in a genre you don’t typically read: Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
A book from your childhood: Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce
A book your mom loves: Wicked 
A book that was originally written in a different language: IQ84 by Haruki Marukami 
A book “everyone” has read but you: Big Little Lies by Lane Moriarty
A book you chose because of the cover: The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman
A book by a favorite author: Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
A book recommended by someone with great taste: Girl Boss by Sophia Amoruso
A book you should have read in high school: Lord of the Flies by William Golding
A book that’s currently on the bestseller list: The Martian by Andy Weir


So not too bad considering that I'm reading Light Between the Oceans right now. Out of all 21 books that I read this year, these were the books that I couldn't put down for the life of me. Links lead to Goodreads pages for each of the books.




Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple

I think a lot of people did read this book. Did you? I loved the mystery, the dark humor, and how relatable the main character, Bee was.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

I'm a bit of a sucker for fantasy books. This book was just the right amount of fantasy without making me struggle to keep up. I loved how it was a romance told in an alternative way. This book kept me wanting more even after I finished it.

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

Are you a fan of dogs? Then read this book. It's cute, quirky, and fun. The best part is that it's told by the perspective of a dog. I typically try to stay away from dog books/movies because I expect at the end that most likely the dog will pass away, but this one has a great, uplifting, happy ending.

#GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso

I'm not a huge fan of  autobiographies/manifestos but I wanted to read this because of how young Sophia is with such great success. She teaches you how to apply lessons that she's learned into any situation and gives you no bullshit about hard work, either.

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

The character building in this book were astounding. I felt like I was part of Jane/Celeste and Madeline's life, too. It tackles important issues in a way that was entertaining and well-written.

Wicked by Gregory MacGuire

Again, a fantasy sucker. I've read this years and years after it first came out, but I'm actually glad I waited to read it. There are so many adult issues and complexities in the book that I probably wouldn't have grasped if I read it in when it first came out. It definitely starts off slow and is a bit longer, but all the details are worth diving into Wicked headfirst.

Still Alice by Lisa Genova

I read this in one night. Given it's a small book but so interesting. Lisa Genova is an expert on the topic of Alzheimer's, and writes an astounding book. It was poignant and eye-opening to a different side of a disease that most people might not know or realize.

What books did you read this year that you couldn't put down? P.S. Be friends with me on Goodreads!


Life According to Steph


Say hello to this month's sponsor:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading every comment and always try to reply by email. Thanks for stopping by!