Friday, November 13, 2015

Books to Read Before They Hit Theaters


One of my biggest pet peeves is when I watch a movie before I read the book. Most often, the book is a lot better. Sometimes, like the Martian, you get to see two different points of view from the movie versus the book. Either way, if you go to see a movie with me, most likely I'll have read the book before hand (if there is one). 

Every year I do the same thing, I peruse which books will be made into movies the coming year and put them all on my library queue. So here's what's on my list for this year.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith
Genre: Horror/Fantasy/Comedy?
I haven't read this yet and I wasn't a huge fan of Pride and Prejudice, but I think the mix of comedy with classic characters is going to be quite entertaining. Basically Elizabeth has turned into a zombie-killer since her entire town has fallen prey to a disease that is turning everyone into zombies. Have you all read this yet? 

The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
Genre: Children's, Classic, Fiction
I know this is already a Disney movie that you probably saw when you were a child but this adaptation will star Scarlett Johansson, Idris Elba and Bill Murray! A must-see. Honestly, I've never read the book, have you?

Allegiant by Veronica Roth
Genre: YA Sci Fiction
This is the third book in the Divergent series. I crushed through this series a while ago, but they're great reads and even if you haven't started the series yet, I'm sure you can plow through all three before the next movie comes out. My only warning is that the movies aren't very true to form to the books. I liked the books a lot better than the movies. But you should try out both to determine for yourself. 

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
Genre: Fiction 
I read this book before I even knew it was going to be a movie (which rarely happens) it was an amazing book and was hard to put down. I can only expect an amazing movie with Emilia Clarke & Sam Claflin in it. It is set to come out in June 2016. 

Genre: YA Fantasy
Who else was a total nerd and read this book immediately after you finished the Harry Potter series? It's kind of a funny little book, but get to reading it before the movie comes out November 2016 starring Eddie Redmayne & Ezra Miller.

The Choice by Nicholas Sparks
Genre: Romance
I actually haven't read this one yet, so I'm not sure how good or bad it is. However, Nicholas Sparks can usually pull through with a good tear-jerking romance, and I'm sure this one will be just as good as his others. This one comes out soon so put it at the top of your queue before February 2016. 

How to Be Single by Liz Tuccillo
Genre: Romance, Chick-Lit (Does anyone else hate the term chick lit?)
I don't think this is something I'd usually put on my queue for reading but it has some good reviews on goodreads and apparently is a pretty quick read. I think the movie will be a great chick flick. 

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancy
Genre: YA Sci-Fi
Have you guys even heard of this book? I definitely hadn't. It's a young-adult dystopian future. If you aren't already sick of these types of books (Hunger Games, Divergent Series, Maze Runner, etc...) I'd give it a try. It will be starring Chloe Grace Moretz.

The BFG by Roald Dahl
Genre: Children's Fantasy
I'm kind of embarrassed how excited I am for this. If you haven't read this before, the BFG is a big friendly giant who is ostracized by other giants because he won't eat little children. Then a little girl runs into him and discovers his friendly nature. Plus, Steven Spielberg will be directing. 

Genre: Fantasy, Mystery
Even though this book is marketed as a young adult book, I didn't categorize it as such because I really think that all ages can read and enjoy this book equally. It's a mix of fantasy, horror, and mystery and the book keeps you on your toes. Similar to any other creepy horror, guess who's directing it? That's right, Tim Burton. You have until the end of 2016 to read this one. 

You can always see what I have on my list to read on my Goodreads account, too!

What I Read

Bossy Pants by Tina Fey
Wicked by Gregory Maguire

What I'm currently reading

Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen

My Reading Challenge Updates

Total Books this month: 2
Total Books read this year: 20/25 
Total Books Read for the Modern Mrs. Darcy Challenge: 8 / 12





What books are you looking forward to reading in 2016?

Say hello to this month's sponsor:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading every comment and always try to reply by email. Thanks for stopping by!