Monday, June 15, 2015

Why Are We Afraid of Being Called A Bitch?

I am no stranger to the word "bitch". I use it in casual conversation, mainly because my vocabulary is littered with cuss words (sorry, Mom). I've been called bitch on a handful of occasions, seriously and playfully. When someone looks you directly in the face and calls you a bitch, it's not very nice. I get a heavy, sick feeling in my stomach and immediately regret whatever I had done or said to deserve that comment. But why am I so afraid to be called a bitch?



Most recently the most recognizable situation I've gotten myself into, where I continually worry if I'll be considered a bitch was when I broke up with my boyfriend. I recall saying the exact words, "Sorry, I'm being a bitch right now, but I need to do what's best for me." First of all, why was I apologizing? Does going through a natural process of a break-up make me a bitch? Lastly, why should I care if something considers me a bitch in that situation?

A ContentFac article says it best, "As women, our fear of the dreaded bitch label is so strong and so pervasive that it affects our behavior in ways we don't even recognize. It alters the way we communicate, how we speak and how we're treated."

I'm frustrated with being afraid of being called a bitch. I'm frustrated with holding myself back because of that fear. I'm assertive, I'm confident, and I know what I want. I shouldn't need to apologize for saying exactly how I feel or hold myself back from asserting myself.



I think it's time for us to reclaim, and reclaim the word "bitch". Oh, and don't worry, you don't have to be a bad ass bitch all by yourself. 

“Bitches get stuff done.” – Tina Fey


“Just because I have my standards, they think I'm a bitch.”
– Diana Ross


Nicki Minaj


“I’m tough, ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, OK.” - Madonna


and my favorite.

“Better bitch than mouse.” -Ruth Bader Ginsberg



Say hello to this month's sponsor:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading every comment and always try to reply by email. Thanks for stopping by!