Monday, June 8, 2015

What I've Learned from Blogging Six Months In

So today is a bit of a special day for me. Today's post is post #100! I am super excited that I got this far and that I'm still 100% loving blogging. I started blogging this past Thanksgiving and it's been an incredible journey. So this is right about at my six month point. When I started blogging, I really wasn't sure what I had got myself into. I had always known about blogs, and frequently read blogs, but it's a whole different world out there when you yourself start blogging.


1. Blogging takes a lot of effort, time, and hard work.

For me, when I start something new, I plunge in headfirst and immerse myself into that project entirely. Many times, I end up getting burnt out but I haven't with blogging now. Regardless, blogging takes consistent effort and hard work to keep up. The process does get a bit more seamless, but it's still hard work nonetheless.

2. Interacting with other bloggers really helps build your network.
When you ask many bloggers what they like about blogging the most, they often say that it's the community that they enjoy. Seriously, take advantage of it. Network the hell out of yourself. I comment on tons of blogs every day and in turn they usually return the favor. Bloglovin' is great for following blogs but there are also great communities that you can join. My favorite is my Grow Your Blog group.

3. Social Media counts. 
If you want to get yourself out there, then really leverage all of your social networks. I rarely used Pinterest or Twitter before blogging. Now, those are my two most popular and favorite social media platforms. 

4. Deciding your blog platform is confusing. 
As many of you know, I switched from Wordpress.com to Blogger. I won't go into too many details here because you can just read my post about it, but if you want to start blogging, really do some research before signing up for the first blog platform you find.

5. Good Photos and Images are Everything!
I'm really bad at taking my own photos. First of all, I don't have a fancy camera. Most All of my photos are taken by my iPhone and that's okay! I am also trying to be better about remembering to take photos while I'm out. Now I try to remember to take a few cute snaps wherever I'm at, and those can make or break a future blog post! Secondly, don't be that person that takes photos from google or Pinterest. If you do use someone else's photo, give them credit for the photo! There are tons of sites out there that you can find royalty free stock photos too! Last tip, make all photos Pinterest friendly! 

6. Don't compare your beginning to someone else's middle!
I mean, I think you can apply this to any part of your life. It's really easy to check out other big bloggers and wonder why you aren't there yet, why you can't join the networks you want, or wonder how they can actually blog full-time. Again, back to #1 blogging is hard work, and it doesn't just happen over night!

Thank you for all you consistent readers out there that have followed me along this blogging journey! 

Do you all have some tips of what you've learned from blogging about blogging?

Say hello to this month's sponsor:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading every comment and always try to reply by email. Thanks for stopping by!