Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Review of 2014 Reading Challenge and 2015 Reading Challenge

For 2014, I challenged myself to read all the books of movies that were coming out in 2014. It was pretty entertaining, and then it was fun to compare the movies to the books when I saw them!

  1. The Monuments Men by Robert M. Edsel. I did like the book, however it was hard for me to really get into just because of how it was written. I actually preferred the movie over the book.
  2. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I haven't actually seen the movie yet. I am such a cry baby that I refused to go to the theaters to see it. The book was good, but a quick YA read.
  3. The Giver by Lois Lowry. For some reason I never had to read this in middle or high school! I actually really liked it and was surprised by how similar it was to the City of Ember. The movie was really good!
  4. If I Stay by Gayle Forman. It was okay...pretty sad. Quick read, I feel like I might like the movie better but haven't had a chance to see it yet.
  5. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. One of my favorite books this year. I couldn't put it down. The movie almost as good, but not quite. I'm pretty sure my boyfriend doesn't want to marry me because of this movie now. Whoops!

     

  6. This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper. For what the book is about it is hilariously written. I couldn't stop laughing at parts. Also haven't seen this movie either. I really need to get on watching these movies!
  7. Wild by Cheryl Strayed. This just came out in theaters so I have an excuse for why I haven't seen it yet. Very well written non-fiction and I'm not a big non-fiction person. A completely honest memoir that is humorous and suspenseful. Can't wait to see Reese Witherspoon in this role.
     

  8. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. Wow, just wow. A must-read. Again, a true story that is heart-breaking and heart warming all at the same time. The movie was really good too.
  9. Serena by Ron Rash. Intriguing book, there were parts that I had to go back and re-read. Movie is coming out in 2015 with Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper, so I'm sure they're going to do a great job illustrating the book.
  10. Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. This was an amazing book too. This movie is actually going to come out in 2015. Flynn is a really dark writer, but just the way she write drags you deep into the character and the story. I highly suggest her books!
  11. Honorable Mention: The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro. This actually came out in a series on Fx that my boyfriend and I watch. They did great, but I actually think season one covered the first and second book so there were things in the tv series I hadn't read yet!
     

Lastly, I am joining the Modern Mrs Darcy 2015 Reading Challenge. The challenge is to read 12 different books in 12 months from 12 different genres. Considering that my reading goal for this year is 100 books, I think I can accomplish this pretty easily and it should be fun!

Modern Mrs Darcy Book Challenge

Currently Reading: The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan. #1 book for 2015.

What did you think about the books that were made into movies this year? Were you able to read them before the movie came out?


Tuesday Talk Link-Up!


4 comments:

  1. That is a lot of books - you are amazing!! I haven't seen any of those movies this year (we are lame ;)). A great book from my childhood is The Westing Game...check it out!
    Thanks for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely add it to my list to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great list of books! I will have to check out some of these this year. Thank you for linking up with Tues Talk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely. They're fun reads so I highly suggest you check them out.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every comment and always try to reply by email. Thanks for stopping by!