Monday, January 12, 2015

Oh, How I Love Group Fitness Classes



In contrast to the photo above, I actually hate running. My boyfriend dragged me to a handful of 5k's this summer and I ended up feeling dead after the summer with a serious shin splint in my left leg.


I'm also terrible at motivating myself. I listen to that devil on my shoulder that says, "You're ten minutes away from a full half-hour, let's just leave now." or "I'm cramping and there's absolutely no way to push through this." or "I want pizza right now." However, I love when people motivate me. One of my favorite things, and the only reason I pay for a gym membership, are the group fitness classes. In addition, getting fit and going to the gym at least three times a week is one of my resolutions. I successfully completed the resolution last week but definitely won't complete this week due to a work trip :(


Like I said previously, the main reason I go to a gym are the group fitness classes. I absolutely love them. I typically go to a range of a few different classes like Zumba, Body Pump, Cycle (aka Spinning, click the link to get to Sarah, my instructor's, blog!), Boot Camp, Body Jam (recently has been replaced by Zumba), Insanity, and sometimes Pilates. Overall Zumba, Cycle, and Body Pump are my three favorites. Zumba gets your cardio really going! For a sixty-minute class I typically burn around 600-700 calories depending on the dance routine that my instructor takes us through. I also am learning how to have better rhythm which is always a plus. Body Pump by Les Mills looks extremely intimidating. It took me forever to go to the class because everyone rushes to pick up at least 10 items to workout with, but almost every instructor I've had has been super helpful and will help you set up and tell you which weights you should use. It's addicting once you start. See below for a sneak peek.


I know there are a lot of people who get self-conscious at group classes or would prefer to work at their own pace, but for me they are perfect. I like group fitness classes for a number of reasons:

  1. Group motivation and camaraderie.
  2. The instructor pushes you.
  3. They keep you on a regular schedule.
  4. You learn new exercise routines.
  5. The instructor teaches you proper posture and technique.
  6. Give you ample time to warm-up and stretch (a downfall in my individual workout routine.)
  7. You can be social and make friends!

Sorry for such a wordy post!

Do you prefer to workout in group classes, with a partner, or by yourself? What motivates you?

1 comment:

  1. […] I was able to lift it into the overhead compartment myself! I guess all those overhead presses at Body Pump do work after […]

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every comment and always try to reply by email. Thanks for stopping by!